Calling all local 15-24 year olds, Ex ADF and local business owners in the Gosford region and surrounding towns. The next round of applications for the Scholarship Scheme for Youth has just been announced by the Department of Education. The round opens on 26 October 2020 and closes on 4 December.
Part 2 of the round is opening on 29 January 2021 and closing on 12 March.
The Commonwealth Scholarships Program for Young Australians aims to improve skills and employment opportunities for Young People and ex Australian Defence Force personnel living in regional locations.
The Scholarship is worth up to $5,000 per year to undertake a Vocational Education and Training course (from Certificate III up to Advanced Diploma level). This can be at your local TAFE or other Registered Training Organization of your choice.
As part of the scholarship, participants will complete either mandatory work placement as per course requirements, or a 20 business-day paid internship with a local business.
To be successful potential Scholarship applicants need to:
- live in an eligible location,
- be aged 15-24 years old or Ex ADF (transitioned within the last 2 years no age restrictions),
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident,
- must not be engaged in full-time work or school at the time of application, and
- have applied or are intending to apply to study an approved course with a registered training provider that is not part of a traineeship or apprenticeship.
Priority group for the scholarship program are:
- Indigenous Australians.
- Culturally and linguistically diverse.
- Clients who have a disability.
- EX ADF who have exited the Australian Defence Force in the past 2 years regardless of age.
Applicants do not need to be in a priority group to apply for the scholarship but must meet other eligibility criteria.
Your Business Can Support Youth Employment!
As part of the scholarships program, local Gosford Region employers can be involved in supporting young people by taking on an intern. This involves wage reimbursements for the intern of up to $3,000 for the 20-day internship; your business will also receive a one-off payment of $1500 to cover costs.
To apply for a scholarship or if you are a local business owner keen to get involved with hosting a local intern, please get in touch with your Regional Co-ordinator, Zoe Goddard, [email protected] or 0400 633 191.