LEAD Professional Development Association Inc
From Crisis to Recovery: Restorative Practices that Support Wellbeing
19 October 2021, 9.30am-4.00pm
Mantra Parramatta, Cnr Parkes St & Valentine Ave, Parramatta
Cost: Members $90 + GST; Non-Members $150 + GST.
The pandemic is having a profound impact on our daily lives. Overlaid with experiences of fire, drought, flood or plague, many individuals, families and communities are experiencing challenging times. Anxiety, tension and stress are understandable responses, yet they can compound the difficulties being faced. This experiential workshop will deepen your knowledge and skills to reduce overwhelm, soothe distress and strengthen resilience, all of which make getting through hard times that little bit easier. You will learn how to cultivate states of wellbeing informed by the physiology of stress, neuroscience, trauma-informed practice, somatic psychotherapy, narrative therapy and other wisdoms. There will also be the opportunity to consider ways of sharing these insights and skills with the people, families and communities you support.
- Appreciate why wellbeing is a skill that can be learned;
- Awareness of the benefits of psychosocial support following a crisis;
- Recognise impacts of stress and trauma to mind, body, emotions, behaviours and relationships;
- Understand why the stress response can be amplified during and after crisis situations;
- Insight into how the nervous system activates and soothes informed by the polyvagal theory;
- Knowledge about a wide array of coping strategies and neurosensory practices that can restore calm, strengthen stress resilience and support recovery;
- Consider how practices of ‘active hope’ can sustain and strengthen agency, and
- Awareness of resources that can support you to offer these practices to others.
Who should attend: Peer support workers, case workers, counsellors, social workers, community workers, pastoral carers, teachers, occupational therapists, childcare workers, family support workers.
Contact: 9620 6172 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Get latest articles in your Inbox: Subscribe to Parramatta e-News