Community Capacity Building Team, City of Parramatta Council
Understanding Government Systems for Community Workers
28 April 2020, 12.45pm-4.30pm or 9 May 2020, 9.15am-1.00pm
Parramatta City Library, 1-3 Fitzwilliam St, Parramatta
- Does the Australian Government seem like one big imposing institution to you?
- Do you want clarity over the different parts and levels of government – the roles of political representatives, who does what and how it all works together?
- Do you want to engage with a government over an issue, but are not sure where to start or the most effective ways?
Then this workshop is for you!
Become more familiar with Australian government systems:
- The three branches of government (Parliaments, Public Service/Executive, and Judiciary).
- The three levels of government (Local, State, Federal)
- The legal system (basic)
The emphasis is on Federal (Commonwealth), NSW State, and City of Parramatta Local Governments, though content is applicable across Australia.
The workshop focus is on understanding how these systems work in order to effectively engage with them, particularly when seeking to understand and participate in Government decision making.
The final part of the workshop will concentrate on how to best engage with political representatives, including Members of Parliament and local Councillors, over relevant issues of importance to you or your client groups. This will give you an opportunity to develop a pitch, test it on an audience, and receive feedback.